From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: multilib@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FYI: emul-linux-x86-xlibs deps being replaced in gx86
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 15:39:17
1 On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 22 April 2013 03:43, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I'd like to give you a heads up and explanation on what I'm doing
7 >> today.
8 >>
9 >> I'm in the process of converting emul-linux-x86-xlibs dependencies
10 >> in gx86 with any-of dependencies supporting both emul-linux and split
11 >> multilib packages.
12 >>
13 >> The goal of that process is to allow peaceful co-existence of both
14 >> solutions while the migration work is being and a smooth transition
15 >> once it's done.
16 >>
17 >> The common kind of committed dep now looks like:
18 >>
19 >> || (
20 >> (
21 >> x11-libs/libXfoo[abi_x86_32]
22 >> x11-libs/libXbar[abi_x86_32]
23 >> )
24 >> app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-xlibs
25 >> )
26 >>
27 >> And before you ask -- it works better than I'd expect it to. Portage
28 >> just does the right thing depending on ABI_X86 setting. From my quick
29 >> (and not thorough tests), it even seems to handle switching
30 >> from emul-linux to multilib packages and back.
31 >>
32 >> There are two notes however:
33 >>
34 >> 1. well, the deps aren't that 100% awesome in EAPI<5 with paludis. It
35 >> may not enforce USE-deps correctly, but a global ABI_X86 setting plus
36 >> @world rebuild will make it work fine. but anyway -- whenever possible,
37 >> please try to migrate packages to EAPI=5.
38 >>
39 >> 2. some of the binary packages may actually prefer versioned deps to
40 >> ensure matching SONAME.
41 >>
42 >> --
43 >> Best regards,
44 >> Michał Górny
47 > It should come as no surprise that I am not happy with this. While I applaud
48 > your efforts to attempt to improve the multilib situation, I don't think we
49 > are quite at the stage yet where this can be pushed as the default choice,
50 > as you are doing now.
51 >
52 > In my opinion this belongs in an overlay for further development and much
53 > more extensive testing. You are now pushing this to ebuilds that may very
54 > well go stable within weeks — unless I'm missing something and you are
55 > masking these features / useflags on stable.
56 >
57 > I am also not convinced this is the approach to multilib that we should be
58 > taking, and I know there are others for who this is controversial as well.
59 >
60 > --
61 > Cheers,
62 >
63 > Ben | yngwin
64 > Gentoo developer
65 > Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin
66
67 Do I assume correctly that this is a response to the freetype and
68 fontconfig multilib bugs?