From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo stats server/client @ 2009-06-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:44:22
1 Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org> posted
2 4A3E49C6.5070804@××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Sun, 21 Jun 2009
3 16:55:02 +0200:
4
5 > What it does not catch is people putting their own ebuilds right into
6 > the main tree. As they lose them all on the next sync are we safe to
7 > assume that no one really does that? If not are there alternatives to
8 > comparing to a synced checkout of gentoo-x86 (either rsync or CVS)?
9
10 Note that one can set PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS in make.conf, with the
11 contents being added to the normal rsync command. Looking at the rsync
12 manpage, there's the --exclude-from=/path/to/exclude.file option. That
13 file is then examined for a list of files and directories to exclude from
14 the rsync. AFAIK there are other command-line options that accomplish
15 the same thing, but listing the exclusions directly on the command line.
16
17 It is thus possible to exclude any directory or file that would otherwise
18 be synced. I use that here to exclude my src dir, as I prefer that name
19 to the Gentoo standard distdir. However, it should be obvious that
20 anything a sysadmin wishes to add to the exclude list will then not be
21 synced, and it'd be entirely possible for a sysadmin to decide to use
22 that to store their own ebuilds directly in the tree.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman