From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo stats server/client @ 2009-06-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:55:06
1 First thanks for sharing your concerns and setup bits.
2 That's the right thing at the the right time.
6 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
7 > Relevant to this, I might not want to disclose my profile inheritance
8 > tree. Here's one of them for you:
9 > /etc/make.profile
10 > /etc/managed-portage/hosts/build_webdb/make.profile
11 > /etc/managed-portage/common/post/make.profile
12 > /etc/managed-portage/class/webdb/make.profile
13 > /etc/managed-portage/class/db/make.profile
14 > /etc/managed-portage/class/web/make.profile
15 > /etc/managed-portage/common/pre/make.profile
16 > /etc/managed-portage/location/surrey/make.profile
17 > /etc/managed-portage/hwtype/nehalem/make.profile
18 > /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/amd64/2008.0
19
20 Which of these is the target of the /etc/make.profile link?
21 The last one? My current approach resolves the soft link and
22 cuts of the profiles dir prefix. So in case it's the last for
23 you that would be
24
25 default/linux/amd64/2008.0
26
27 To auto-filter profiles would parsing profiles.desc work?
28 Would a synced CVS checkout of
29 <http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/profiles/>
30 give anything more that I could or should use?
33 >> For Overlays ..
34 >> we filter out overlays not located below /usr/local/portage/layman/.
35 > This is going to be fail.
36 > 1. That's not the only location used for layman.
37 > - At home: /code/gentoo/layman/
38 > - At work: /usr/local/portage-layman/
39 > - Gentoo Infra: /usr/portage/local/layman/
40 >
41 > 2. Just because an overlay is distributed by layman does NOT mean that
42 > it's safe to disclose the existence of, within Gentoo infra, we do
43 > this in layman.cfg:
44 > overlays : http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/layman-global.txt
45 > file:///etc/layman/infra-overlays.xml
46
47 I see. How about this approach instead:
48
49 - Get list of overlays from layman-global.txt, through either
50
51 A) Download and keep a snapshot of layman-global.txt in sync ourselves
52
53 B) Use heuristic on layman's cache
54
55 - Resolve ${cache} from /etc/layman/layman.cfg
56
57 - Parse all ${cache}/cache_*.xml files using the Layman API
58
59 - Compare the list of overlays each file provides against
60 a hardcoded snapshot of overlay names ("akoya alexxy arcon ..")
61
62 - Assume the file with the highest count of matches for
63 layman-global.txt if the count is >=50 of the number hardcoded
64 overlays
65
66 - Take the official tree and globa overlays (overlays from
67 layman-global.txt) into account for statistics
68
69 - Resolve ${storage} from /etc/layman/layman.cfg
70
71 - Include ebuilds from ${storage}/{global,overlays,here} and
72 /usr/portage/
73
74 What it does not catch is people putting their own ebuilds
75 right into the main tree. As they lose them all on the next sync
76 are we safe to assume that no one really does that?
77 If not are there alternatives to comparing to a synced checkout
78 of gentoo-x86 (either rsync or CVS)?
79
80 Any concerns or ideas for improvement?
83 > While I don't mind disclosing the list of overlays we have in infra,
84 > other large-scale use of layman might not be happy to disclose it.
85
86 Agreed.
89 > 3. For one of my work overlays, we have a custom category called
90 > 'ih-int', for our internal ebuilds (some just meta ebuild, others
91 > full applications). I might not want to disclose just those package names.
92
93 Right. With the approach described above the whole overlay is ignored.
97 Sebastian