From: Sebastian Pipping <webmaster@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: wrobel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo stats server/client @ 2009-06-21
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 20:55:28
1 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > A) Download and keep a snapshot of layman-global.txt in sync ourselves
3 >
4 > B) Use heuristic on layman's cache
5 >
6 > - Resolve ${cache} from /etc/layman/layman.cfg
7 >
8 > - Parse all ${cache}/cache_*.xml files using the Layman API
9 >
10 > - Compare the list of overlays each file provides against
11 > a hardcoded snapshot of overlay names ("akoya alexxy arcon ..")
12 >
13 > - Assume the file with the highest count of matches for
14 > layman-global.txt if the count is >=50 of the number hardcoded
15 > overlays
16
17 forget about (B). as we're dealing with privacy a 100% approach
18 is much better than some heuristic.
19
20 i'll keep an extra copy of layman-global.txt in sync and
21 use modification timestamps on any file in layman's cache dir
22 as trigger to re-sync with layman-global.txt from the web.
23 that's an optimized version of (A) to me.
27 sebastian