From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using one portage tree for development and portage itself
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:46:52
1 On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:39 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > All,
6 >
7 > I currently have two copies of the portage tree on my system.
8 >
9 > The one that portage itself uses is at /usr/portage, but I have a second copy at /usr/gentoo-x86 which is the one that is checked out of cvs.
10 >
11 > Is this the way I should be working, or is there a way to use one copy of the portage tree for both development and portage itself?
12
13 Actually, you "should" have 3 trees (kinda).
14
15 You should have /usr/portage, which is what you get from rsync.
16
17 You should have $CVSROOT/gentoo-x86 (wherever you want it) for commits.
18
19 You should have $PORTDIR_OVERLAY for making your actual changes.
20
21 Don't actually edit files in your CVS tree. Edit them in your overlay
22 then move them over. While this does create extra steps, it ensures you
23 are accidentally commiting something you might be in-development on that
24 could potentially break systems.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
29 Games - Developer
30 Gentoo Linux