From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] First release of Gentoo Keys
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 04:54:28
1 On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 18:48:41 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 19:44:46 +0100
3 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Shor's would be effective against discrete logs (including ECC) as
5 > > well, so wouldn't be applicable to this selection. For post-quantum
6 > > asymmetric crypto we'd likely need e.g a lattice based primitive.
7 >
8 > We're not post-quantum,
9
10 Are you sure? The simplest Shor's factorisation machine was already
11 built and published in open press:
12 http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0112176
13 This was done 14(!!) years ago. I don't doubt there was a
14 significant progress in this field thereafter. But it is likely
15 that results are classified.
16
17 And Yale university have annonced a serious progress in errors
18 correction recently:
19 http://news.yale.edu/2013/01/11/new-qubit-control-bodes-well-future-quantum-computing
20
21 > and if we were no-one knows how anything would
22 > do anyway... Why not stick to threats that actually exist?
23
24 They are exist. No agency will announce that they broke RSA
25 regardless of the key length. This information will be kept
26 top secret as long as possible, so one should prepare today and
27 beforehand.
28
29 There are post-quantum solutions and implementations, see
30 app-crypt/codecrypt.
31
32 Best regards,
33 Andrew Savchenko