From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sunrise contemplations
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:46:22
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 01 Aug 2006, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
4 > On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:21:53 +0200
5 > > Idea: should it be more obvious in emerge --info and ebuild
6 > > failure that an overlay is involved? If it's obvious enough,
7 > > I don't see a problem. Also, a command that lists all
8 > > installed packages that come from an overlay might be useful
9 > > (maybe even a sa part of --info).
10 >
11 > emerge --info can easily be forged. I've seen people asking for
12 > help on #gentoo do it a few too many times (some even refuse to
13 > provide it), and have wasted precious minutes not just
14 > wondering what the error messages meant, but also whether I
15 > could trust the user.
16
17 I don't doubt your claim, yet I find it incredible. I'm
18 constantly amazed at how stupid some people are. Not to mention
19 how many idiotic assholes are out there.
20
21 > The only way to have people submit emerge --info properly and reliably
22 > would be to set up an online ticketing system - something like this:
25 > # emerge --submit-info
26 >
27 > * sys-apps/portage generates emerge --info output and uploads it
28 > relatively tamper-proof to tickets.g.o, and
29 >
30 > * returns a ticket to the user, a unique number that he or she can
31 > communicate to developers and active users through a URL like
32 > http://tickets.g.o/#ticket-number.
33 >
34 > * --submit-info includes information about the emerge commandline that
35 > was run last and what category/package/version emerge was
36 > building/installing at the time.
37
38 I think this is a very good idea. Better than mine.
39
40 > Now, do I appear to sound mistrustful of Gentoo users? Perhaps.
41 > Perhaps, this --submit-info stuff reminds you of Product
42 > Activation routines used by closed source software vendors.
43 > Perhaps you think I am being paranoid. Maybe you think that
44 > FOSS should be a free-for-all exchange of meaningful
45 > information, which I would whole-heartedly agree with - the
46 > information would be meaningless if could not trust it.
47
48 I think it's critical how you sell this: don't say "this is
49 because we can not trust you" but "this is because it makes it
50 easier for you to send all relevant info". While it may seem
51 phone-home-ish, the contained info is clearly traceable and
52 everybody can see that there's nothing sensitive in there.
53
54 Feedback agents to which I can have the source are much less
55 suspicious than binary blobs that send gobs and gobs of binary
56 info to their home.
57
58 > It's a far cry from what Gentoo originally was supposed to be,
59 > I admit. I am not even going to argue that this ticket system
60 > is necessary or should be adopted by all developers once it has
61 > been implemented - it is a means to an end, or perhaps several
62 > ends, none of which are required to further develop Gentoo.
63
64 Yet I think it's a good idea. Just don't misuse it as a tool to
65 spy on users. *Don't* turn it into something that pulls more info
66 than gentoo-stats (and then some).
67
68 Regards,
69 Tobias
70 --
71 You don't need eyes to see, you need vision.
72 --
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list