From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sunrise contemplations
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:32:04
1 On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:21:53 +0200
2 Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Idea: should it be more obvious in emerge --info and ebuild
5 > failure that an overlay is involved? If it's obvious enough, I
6 > don't see a problem. Also, a command that lists all installed
7 > packages that come from an overlay might be useful (maybe even a
8 > sa part of --info).
9
10 emerge --info can easily be forged. I've seen people asking for help on
11 #gentoo do it a few too many times (some even refuse to provide it),
12 and have wasted precious minutes not just wondering what the error
13 messages meant, but also whether I could trust the user.
14
15 Having to do the latter of these could hardly be called "supportive" of
16 Gentoo's user base, yet every so often you have to investigate whether
17 a user has been absolutely truthful about his or her problem. Sometimes
18 users have built their entire system using -fomg-fastwoah only to see
19 the system collapse at the NNth package, sometimes they've copied some
20 ebuilds/eclasses from an overlay. Sometimes they don't even use Gentoo
21 but go for the massive numbers of users and guess that someone in
22 #gentoo ought to be able to help them with their home-built packages.
23
24 The only way to have people submit emerge --info properly and reliably
25 would be to set up an online ticketing system - something like this:
28 # emerge --submit-info
29
30 * sys-apps/portage generates emerge --info output and uploads it
31 relatively tamper-proof to tickets.g.o, and
32
33 * returns a ticket to the user, a unique number that he or she can
34 communicate to developers and active users through a URL like
35 http://tickets.g.o/#ticket-number.
36
37 * --submit-info includes information about the emerge commandline that
38 was run last and what category/package/version emerge was
39 building/installing at the time.
42 This not only makes it a lot easier to find the causes of any bugs or
43 other problems, which helps Gentoo get the user entry level down,
44 in chime with efforts like the Gentoo Linux Installer project, it
45 might also help ensure that bug reports will in all likelihood not have
46 been tampered with, since tampering with the info would require
47 tampering with sys-apps/portage.
48
49 Now, do I appear to sound mistrustful of Gentoo users? Perhaps. Perhaps,
50 this --submit-info stuff reminds you of Product Activation routines
51 used by closed source software vendors. Perhaps you think I am being
52 paranoid. Maybe you think that FOSS should be a free-for-all exchange
53 of meaningful information, which I would whole-heartedly agree with -
54 the information would be meaningless if could not trust it.
55
56 All I know is that too many bugs on bugs.g.o and too many questions on
57 #gentoo remain unsolved or unanswered because of a lack of reliable
58 information. --submit-info would not only help improve bug handling,
59 but would also give the Gentoo Project useful feedback about its users.
60 Developers could require such a ticket to resume or even to start
61 analysing a bug.
62
63 It's a far cry from what Gentoo originally was supposed to be, I admit.
64 I am not even going to argue that this ticket system is necessary or
65 should be adopted by all developers once it has been implemented - it is
66 a means to an end, or perhaps several ends, none of which are required
67 to further develop Gentoo.
70 Kind regards,
71 JeR
72 --