From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sunrise contemplations
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:54:30
1 On 8/1/06, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2 > # emerge --submit-info
3 >
4 > * sys-apps/portage generates emerge --info output and uploads it
5 > relatively tamper-proof to tickets.g.o, and
6 >
7 > * returns a ticket to the user, a unique number that he or she can
8 > communicate to developers and active users through a URL like
9 > http://tickets.g.o/#ticket-number.
10 >
11 > * --submit-info includes information about the emerge commandline that
12 > was run last and what category/package/version emerge was
13 > building/installing at the time.
14
15 Like you, I'm not sure this is necessary, but I like it. I like it
16 even more when I think that the flags and other configuration options
17 that are in make.conf at the time you 'emerge --info' are not
18 necessarily the same as those you used when, maybe a long time ago,
19 you emerged the dependencies of the package that breaks. Let's imagine
20 we have :
21
22 # emerge --submit-info package-that-breaks
23
24 If that creates a compressed tarball of all (or selected relevant)
25 data in /var/db/pkg concerning all packages that package-that-breaks
26 depends on, I like it a lot. This will give more useful information
27 than 'emerge --info'. And I'm not only thinking of forged 'emerge
28 info', but also of those users and developers that play with flags
29 because they like it or have to, and then forget to revert to safe
30 flags. I'm sure there are many legitimate ways to make such mistakes.
31 You end up having some parts of your system built with stupid flags,
32 and you don't feel guilty about it because you don't even know (this
33 happened to me already).
34
35 So yes, I'd love to see something like this someday. And I'd love to
36 help implementing it if such a decision was taken. But the question
37 remains : it obviously looks useful, but do we need it ?
38
39 Denis.
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list