From: David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Massive package.mask cleanup
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:06:00
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Jakub Moc wrote:
3 >> Ciaran McCreesh napsal(a):
4 >>> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:18:52 -0700 David Shakaryan <omp@g.o>
5 >>> wrote:
6 >>> | I have created a small script to go through entries in package.mask
7 >>> | and list those which are masking non-existent packages or versions. I
8 >>> | then used this list to clean up package.mask. I tried to only remove
9 >>> | versions that were removed and have a newer version in place, along
10 >>> | with packages that were removed, but I accidentally /might/ have
11 >>> | removed other entries, although I doubt it. I kept masks for future
12 >>> | versions in place, as the maintainer of the package might have wanted
13 >>> | to mask it ahead of time.
14 >>>
15 >>> So what happens when users have an old, masked package installed that's
16 >>> no longer masked thanks to this change?
17 >>
18 >> Err, exactly nothing? If they didn't unmerge it, they'll continue to
19 >> have it installed as they did before?
24 > For things like security packages; it is troublesome.
25 >
26 > 1.x has a sec vuln but 2.x fixes it; upstream isn't willing to backport
27 > and both stay in the tree. So we mask 1.x for sec reasons.
28
29 It seems like you didn't understand exactly what I did. The masks I
30 removed are *ONLY* those which are masking a package or version that is
31 no longer in the tree.
32
33 - If 2.x and 1.x are both in the tree, and one of them is masked, I
34 didn't touch the mask.
35 - If only 2.x is in the tree, and 1.x is masked, then I removed the mask
36 as it is quite useless.
37 - If only 1.x is in the tree, and 2.x is masked, I let the mask stay in
38 case the developer masked it ahead of time.
39
40 Hope that clears it up.
43 David Shakaryan
44 GnuPG Public Key: 0x4B8FE14B