From: Ian Delaney <idella4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NPM / NodeJS project
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:56:17
1 On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 12:30:25 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I recently found a need for the CoffeeScript compiler[0] that runs on
5 > top of NodeJS. Its test suite requires a bunch of other javascript
6 > packages, and I wound up packaging enough of them to test
7 > CoffeeScript.
8 >
9 > In the process I wrote an eclass to handle packages hosted on the npm
10 > registry[1] and install them globally. I put all of this in an overlay
11 > for now:
12 >
13 > https://github.com/orlitzky/npm
14 >
15 > We don't have any standalone javascript packages in the tree at the
16 > moment but I know there's been some interest before. Is anyone still
17 > (planning on) working on javascript stuff in-tree?
18 >
19 > If not, I'll probably commit dev-lang/coffee-script to the tree
20 > without its test suite. But if so, the eclass and few dev-js packages
21 > I have might be a good start. Then I could add coffee-script with its
22 > test suite working.
25 > [0] http://coffeescript.org/
26 > [1] https://www.npmjs.com/
29 Is this what I prompted about a year or more ago, and drew no interest
30 in pursuing the npm path? I cited an eclass called npm.eclass in a
31 dev's overlay. The conclusion was that using npm to install anything
32 competed with portage at a level that made it a 'no go'. This came
33 from members of the portage 'team'. It is a very awkward topic.
36 kind regards
37
38 Ian Delaney