From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: bugs@××××××××××.nu, neurogeek@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] NPM / NodeJS project
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 16:30:45
1 I recently found a need for the CoffeeScript compiler[0] that runs on
2 top of NodeJS. Its test suite requires a bunch of other javascript
3 packages, and I wound up packaging enough of them to test CoffeeScript.
4
5 In the process I wrote an eclass to handle packages hosted on the npm
6 registry[1] and install them globally. I put all of this in an overlay
7 for now:
8
9 https://github.com/orlitzky/npm
10
11 We don't have any standalone javascript packages in the tree at the
12 moment but I know there's been some interest before. Is anyone still
13 (planning on) working on javascript stuff in-tree?
14
15 If not, I'll probably commit dev-lang/coffee-script to the tree without
16 its test suite. But if so, the eclass and few dev-js packages I have
17 might be a good start. Then I could add coffee-script with its test
18 suite working.
21 [0] http://coffeescript.org/
22 [1] https://www.npmjs.com/