From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:25:44
1 On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:13:26 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:03:25 -0400
5 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
8 > > wrote:
9 > > > can we *please* use the openrc useflag to have correct paths and
10 > > > binary names again?
11 > > > Just because upstream says we should be fedora doesn't mean we
12 > > > have to do it.
13 > >
14 > > I think that having binaries going in different places based on a
15 > > USE flag is going to lead to a big mess - especially if we're
16 > > talking about system packages.
17 > >
18 > > If we want to argue about where we put something by all means hash
19 > > it out or escalate to council. If we want to debate whether to
20 > > install compatibility symlinks I think that is also more reasonable.
21 > >
22 > > However, I don't want the path to bash or glibc or whatever to
23 > > depend on whether a particular package maintainer believes in
24 > > the /usr move or even moreso whether some USE flag is set.
25 >
26 > Path to bash can't change because it will break most of scripts
27 > in the world.
28 >
29 > Path to libc can't change because it will break all of the executables
30 > in the world.
31
32 Ah, sorry. Let me clarify: path to ld.so.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny