From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:14:50
1 On Wed, 8 Aug 2012 11:03:25 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > can we *please* use the openrc useflag to have correct paths and
7 > > binary names again?
8 > > Just because upstream says we should be fedora doesn't mean we have
9 > > to do it.
10 >
11 > I think that having binaries going in different places based on a USE
12 > flag is going to lead to a big mess - especially if we're talking
13 > about system packages.
14 >
15 > If we want to argue about where we put something by all means hash it
16 > out or escalate to council. If we want to debate whether to install
17 > compatibility symlinks I think that is also more reasonable.
18 >
19 > However, I don't want the path to bash or glibc or whatever to depend
20 > on whether a particular package maintainer believes in the /usr move
21 > or even moreso whether some USE flag is set.
22
23 Path to bash can't change because it will break most of scripts
24 in the world.
25
26 Path to libc can't change because it will break all of the executables
27 in the world.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny