From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 15:21:46
1 On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Path to bash can't change because it will break most of scripts
3 > in the world.
4 >
5 > Path to libc can't change because it will break all of the executables
6 > in the world.
7
8 My point was illustrative. Basically if we're going to move
9 something, then MOVE it, and don't make that conditional on some flag
10 (unless you're talking about something more nuanced like library
11 location on a multilib system, which is also to be carefully planned).
12
13 You can say that something belongs in A, and I might say it belongs in
14 B, but I think we should all agree that it should only be in one place
15 or the other, perhaps with compatibility symlinks where necessary (and
16 the symlink behavior might be more conditional whether via USE or
17 eselect or whatever).
18
19 I don't want a USE=traditional/openrc/gentoo/my-preference flag that
20 randomly breaks things when it is or isn't present - depending on
21 whether various package maintainers worship at one altar or another.
22
23 Rich