From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed md5sum change
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:53:09
1 On Thursday 12 June 2003 23:24, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > <snip>
3 >
4 > > > As for transforming, would it really be needed? I've spent a bit of
5 > > > time rooting through the distfile dir and I don't recall seeing
6 > > > non-versioned names, although as always, I could be wrong.
7 > >
8 > > You are wrong there are even auxiliary files in the distfiles repository.
9 > > Unversioned tarbals are though, certainly not helping to get a package
10 > > into the repository. Sometimes we provide a versioned version of a tarbal
11 > > on the portage mirrors.
12 >
13 > I'm guessing what you're saying is that I'm wrong on the 'auxiliary
14 > files' aspect? Example? Unless you were referencing my comment about
15 No, on the point that there are no unversioned files in the distfiles dir.
16 Unfortunately there are.
17
18 > non-versionned tarballs... I guess I don't follow on what I'm wrong
19 > about.
20 > As for changing the name of a tarball locally so it's versioned, that
21 > doesn't strike me as the best solution- the name change ought to take
22 > place at the server/mirror level. Course that's my opinion...
23 > ~Brian
24
25 The server of the package unfortunately is not under control of gentoo, as
26 each package is developed by their respective independent developers. In some
27 cases it is not possible to change that name, in other cases the version is
28 specified by a directory name.
29
30 My solution would have the mirrors provide the versioned files only, but
31 specifying a transformation would enable automatic transformation of name on
32 both the mirrors, and at the user, for files that are not (or will not be)
33 mirrored (yet).
34
35 Paul
38 Paul de Vrieze