From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: GLEP 55 Version 2
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 12:44:34
1 Roy Bamford wrote:
2
3 > On 2009.06.07 10:34, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 >> >>>>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2009, Steven J Long wrote:
5 >>
6 >> > I'd just like to know what the implications would be for users if
7 >> we
8 >> > kept the .ebuild extension, and a new PMS were rolled out stating
9 >> > that the mangler were allowed to find the EAPI without sourcing
10 >> (and
11 >> > giving the restrictions) once portage 2.2 was stable, or the
12 >> ability
13 >> > to handle this backported to 2.1.6, and issued in a release?
14 >>
15 >> Even if we do only a one-time change of the file extension, can we
16 >> ever get rid of the old extension? Or are we then stuck with two
17 >> extensions in the tree until the end of time?
18 >>
19 >> Let's assume for the moment that we change from ".ebuild" to ".eb".
20 >> Then we obviously cannot change all ebuilds in the tree to ".eb",
21 >> otherwise old Portage versions would see an empty tree and there
22 >> would
23 >> be no upgrade path.
24 >>
25 >> Or am I missing something?
26 >>
27 Sounds about right
30 > First, lets be clear that the upgrade path related problems are driven
31 > by the EAPI change, not the .ebuild to .eb change. That serves only to
32 > allow the new EAPI to be introduced immedately and hide the change from
33 > older package managers
34 >
35 <snip>
36 > To keep an upgrade path, package managers and their dependencies need
37 > to use EAPI 0, 1 or 2. (EAPI 3 is not yet out) How far back should the
38 > upgrade path extend?
39 >
40 Well given that EAPI 3 is not out, and that bash-4 is not even stable
41 (and if anyone thinks we can rely on bash-4 in the next 6 months, they
42 didn't learn anything from bash-3 imo) this sounds like it's a fair
43 distance away. From discussion with Harring, EAPIs were not meant to
44 come out very often; iirc he said something like maybe once a year.
45
46 I concur with Duncan on a year, as you know. I appreciate you feel it
47 should be longer, and am happy to go with whatever the consensus is.
48
49 > As you suggest, even with .ebuild to .eb change.its not a clean break
50 > with the past but would happen over time, with ebuilds for new package
51 > versions being migrated to the new format. For example we would
52 > have
53 > foo-2.1-r1.ebuild
54 > foo-3.0.eb
55 > portage-2.3.ebuild
56 > portage-3.0.eb
57 >
58 yuck.
59
60 > Portage-2.3 will understand the later EAPI but will itself, use only
61 > EAPI, 0, 1 or 2.
62 >
63 Just to be clear: portage-2.2 and later will be fine with any EAPI, with
64 no change to any ebuilds, nor any new extension being needed. The
65 change can easily be backported to 2.1.6, tho I suspect 2.2 will be
66 stable fairly soon.
67
68 > Thats just portage. The same reasoning applies to any other package
69 > manager and there are at least three. This begs the question of how
70 > friendly do we want to be to derivitive distros that use our tree but
71 > their own package manager?
72 >
73 As friendly as we can be without hobbling our own development. Most of
74 them appear to be fairly collaborative with Gentoo in any case.
75
76 > Upgrade path issues need to be addressed in the GLEP. I will add
77 > something like the above in the next version.
78 >
79 Wrt transitioning, can the eapi (PMS 5.2.2) and deprecated (5.2.3) files
80 not be of use? I seem to recall the change from 2007.1 to 2008.0 for
81 example; anyone using a deprecated profile can expect a massive warning
82 the next time they try to do anything after sync'ing.
83
84 Thanks again for your work; I appreciate that your time is valuable.
85
86 Regards,
87 Steve.
88 --
89 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)