From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 55 Version 2
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 14:12:08
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 2009.06.07 10:34, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > >>>>> On Sun, 07 Jun 2009, Steven J Long wrote:
6 >
7 > > I'd just like to know what the implications would be for users if
8 > we
9 > > kept the .ebuild extension, and a new PMS were rolled out stating
10 > > that the mangler were allowed to find the EAPI without sourcing
11 > (and
12 > > giving the restrictions) once portage 2.2 was stable, or the
13 > ability
14 > > to handle this backported to 2.1.6, and issued in a release?
15 >
16 > Even if we do only a one-time change of the file extension, can we
17 > ever get rid of the old extension? Or are we then stuck with two
18 > extensions in the tree until the end of time?
19 >
20 > Let's assume for the moment that we change from ".ebuild" to ".eb".
21 > Then we obviously cannot change all ebuilds in the tree to ".eb",
22 > otherwise old Portage versions would see an empty tree and there
23 > would
24 > be no upgrade path.
25 >
26 > Or am I missing something?
27 >
28 > Ulrich
29
30 First, lets be clear that the upgrade path related problems are driven
31 by the EAPI change, not the .ebuild to .eb change. That serves only to
32 allow the new EAPI to be introduced immedately and hide the change from
33 older package managers
34
35 The upgrade path issue remains even if we do the usual Gentoo introduce
36 new features to the package manager then wait a year or so before they
37 are deployed. Without the .ebuild to .eb change. late upgraders will
38 get the error messages in Appendix A of the GLEP when these features
39 are relesed.
40
41 To keep an upgrade path, package managers and their dependencies need
42 to use EAPI 0, 1 or 2. (EAPI 3 is not yet out) How far back should the
43 upgrade path extend?
44
45 As you suggest, even with .ebuild to .eb change.its not a clean break
46 with the past but would happen over time, with ebuilds for new package
47 versions being migrated to the new format. For example we would
48 have
49 foo-2.1-r1.ebuild
50 foo-3.0.eb
51 portage-2.3.ebuild
52 portage-3.0.eb
53
54 Portage-2.3 will understand the later EAPI but will itself, use only
55 EAPI, 0, 1 or 2.
56
57 With the .ebuild to .eb change. users who do not upgrade portage will
58 not see newer versions of foo. Without it, they will get the error
59 messages in Appendix A of the GLEP. This will have the side effect of
60 driving the adoption of the newer package managers.
61
62 It is not suffcient to have portage-2.3.ebuild as understanding later
63 EAPI files. All of its dependencies need to keep to EAPI 0, 1 or 2.
64 These must be the last packages to migrate to later EAPIs.
65
66 Thats just portage. The same reasoning applies to any other package
67 manager and there are at least three. This begs the question of how
68 friendly do we want to be to derivitive distros that use our tree but
69 their own package manager?
70
71 Upgrade path issues need to be addressed in the GLEP. I will add
72 something like the above in the next version.
73
74 - --
75 Regards,
76