From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] From [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:33:23
1 On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 23:32:44 +0200
2 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > So, from the perspective of the people who actually use our trees,
5 > > yes, the system works.
6 >
7 > Read above, this is not a valid assumption.
8 >
9 > Actually, because we paid attention to it, it has not lead to any
10 > serious treaths to stable arches trees. So if we let go and you do for
11 > once suffer the consequences, this might still change, but I hope it
12 > won't have to come that.
13
14 If this is truly the case, then why are the arch teams not notified?
15 Isn't that exactly what we exist for? And how can a package maintainer
16 then apply and QA a fix a problem for an architecture for which they
17 cannot test? Also, who is "we"?
18
19 Before this turns into more mud slinging than it has, can everyone please
20 provide cases where they feel there is a problem (including bug reports if
21 possible) to back up your side of the argument. Please try to be as
22 understanding and rational as you can.
23
24 Personally, I cannot see how having a package maintainer that cannot test
25 for a given architecture can provide any level of QA towards that
26 architecture without outside help. Additionally, outsides of cases where
27 new versions or revisions cause problems with dependencies (or the usual
28 ~arching of a new rev/version of a given package), package maintainers who
29 cannot test for a given architecture shouldn't be adjusting those
30 keywords. Again these are just my feelings and not any form of policy
31 that I'm aware of.
32
33 Also, I don't see how having the arch teams and the package maintainers
34 telling each other they are stupid accomplishes anything. If anything, it
35 works against what the original goal was (if we can even remember
36 anymore). I think it should be little wonder to most folks why a lot of
37 developers don't participate in threads on this list if half of them
38 deteriorate to this level.
39
40 Perhaps if you are noticing yourself getting worked up over this you need
41 to take a break for a bit or find one of those nice vendor-provided
42 squishy things to throw/help calm yourself. I know I occasionally find
43 myself in this position (particularly on this sort of topic) and notice I
44 get better results if I don't totally berate the people I'm trying to work
45 with. Yes I can definitely understand getting frustrated and how
46 there is a desire to lash out in those times, but what does it
47 truly accomplish?
48
49 Granted between my past postings and my orkut pic everyone may not think
50 that I know how to be cordial but...:-P
51
52 Keep on SPARCin',
53 --
54 Jason Wever