From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] From [gentoo-dev] Arches marking ebuilds stable before maintainer
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:32:54
1 On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 22:11 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:48:53 +0200 foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
3 > | > For those of you who missed it the first three times, *the current
4 > | > system works*.
5 > |
6 > | This is just not true, i've seen it break things & this will happen
7 > | more and more in the future. I've posted a recent example on -dev
8 > | already, so I don't even know why you can still knowingly make this
9 > | false statement.
10 >
11 > And as I recall, the example you provided was invalid, since a) the
12 > packages in question weren't stable on mips anyway, and b) it fixed a
13 > lot more than it broke.
14
15 Well, you recall wrong :
16 a) obviously you don't know the situation, because this is not true
17 b) this is not true either
18
19 The example is valid.
20
21 > I'd also like to point out that we have a lot of
22 > happy users running our stable trees, and that the *only* complaint
23 > we've had regarding our keywording policies for sparc and mips came from
24 > a developer who has absolutely nothing to do with the archs in question.
25
26 If it breaks, the maintainer gets the bugs, not the arch, because the
27 break wouldn't be arch specfic, but a general problem. That's the whole
28 point.
29
30 > So, from the perspective of the people who actually use our trees, yes,
31 > the system works.
32
33 Read above, this is not a valid assumption.
34
35 Actually, because we paid attention to it, it has not lead to any
36 serious treaths to stable arches trees. So if we let go and you do for
37 once suffer the consequences, this might still change, but I hope it
38 won't have to come that.
39
40 - foser