From: Robert Cole <robert.cole@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 00:25:16
1 On Tue January 06 2004 1:09 pm, Spider wrote:
2 > 3b) QC, by developer of the strictest sense. A lot of people failto
3 > grasp even the most basic concepts of ebuild programming and / or the
4 > case of boolean logic. ( if foo then bar ; then baz..... or was that or
5 > baz? or ... or.... if foo then bar... then we ignore the case of not
6 > foo? )
7 >
8 > > ** Assuming everything is perfect
9 > > a. Ebuild works fine, no patches need to be applied/software is now
10 > > known stable.
11 >
12 > No. its not, we have yet no conclusion as to wether the build is
13 > complete or not. Does it build all documentation? are the files really
14 > with that license? are the dependencies correct according to
15 > configure.* or did it just happen to work on a fully installed system?
16 >
17 > Is all functionality accounted for in the dependencies, or will it build
18 > without, say X, but with reduced functionality? None of this is checked
19 > for, and almost none of them are accountable by automagic.
20
21 I guess I think a little differently in that my response to the above is: You
22 mean ebuild creators don't already do this?
23
24 I don't say that to be funny, honest. I just can't seeing letting ANYONE even
25 see an ebuild I create without having done all those checks in the first
26 place! Then after that I would give it to my sponsor to give a brutal
27 evaluation of it and then and only then after further changes and testing
28 would I ask it to be included in the tree.
29
30 I don't know maybe I'm wierd or something it just comes from my early
31 programming instructors in the mid 80s, document, document, document, test,
32 test, test and then test some more.
33
34 > Conclusion : please, write a GLEP. i want to see this discussed more,
35 > but in a whole new thread.
36
37 Agree this thread is dead.
38
39 I feel I got a much better understanding of the whole gentoo dev process and I
40 feel it was pretty good and most of it was useful back and forth. Overall a
41 decent thread I think. Lets all just try to relax now. :) Let's go back to
42 playing nice in the sandbox :)
43
44 BTW, Happy new year!
45