From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] creating ebuilds
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:27:19
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:13:30 -0500
3 "Allen Parker" <allenp@×××.org> wrote:
8 > I think I should definitely re-state my *ideal* system for ebuild
9 > submission, since it wasn't understood. Bugzilla is great, I agree,
10 > but it's for *bugs* and as was said earlier, if a dev isn't interested
11 > in an ebuild, it's not going into the tree. Here's the process that I
12 > suggest, and I think it'll streamline things and reduce the workload
13 > on ebuild submission. Avenj, this does NOT require people like me to
14 > have CVS access.
15
16 Actually, before this the build should go through several other stages:
17
18 > 1. New submission is created, submitted to system
21 1b) automated repocheck (compare repoman lintool)
22
23 > 2. System sees new ebuild, notifies submitter, dev that has notified
24 > system that they have free time, and possibly herd maintainer for
25 > ebuild's proposed home (opt-in via web interface).
26 > 3. Dev checks in, sees ebuild, downloads ebuild, attempts build. Here,
27 > things split:
28
29 3b) QC, by developer of the strictest sense. A lot of people failto
30 grasp even the most basic concepts of ebuild programming and / or the
31 case of boolean logic. ( if foo then bar ; then baz..... or was that or
32 baz? or ... or.... if foo then bar... then we ignore the case of not
33 foo? )
37 > ** Assuming everything is perfect
38 > a. Ebuild works fine, no patches need to be applied/software is now
39 > known stable.
40
41 No. its not, we have yet no conclusion as to wether the build is
42 complete or not. Does it build all documentation? are the files really
43 with that license? are the dependencies correct according to
44 configure.* or did it just happen to work on a fully installed system?
45
46 Is all functionality accounted for in the dependencies, or will it build
47 without, say X, but with reduced functionality? None of this is checked
48 for, and almost none of them are accountable by automagic.
51 > b. User response is requested, users vote yay or nay on whether the
52 > package compiles for them without error.
53
54 compare the old "stable.gentoo.org" which was a great idea, but lacked
55 in ease of use and functionality.
56
57 <SNIP>
61 These checks also fail to scan for upstream behaviour. how does upsteam
62 deal with versions? do they silently fuck up binary releases in the past
63 or not, is it actively supported? how long has the package been alive?
64 (no, just releasing 0.03 to the public last month doesn't mean its alive
65 and well)
68 > This is just a rough idea of a way to streamline things. If non-gentoo
69 > devs work on this, it shouldn't take too long to see if it'll sink or
70 > swim. IMHO, Bugzilla is a great thing, it just isn't suited very well
71 > or even designed for this task. I think Bugzilla should be for bugs
72 > with existing software... not ebuild submission. With the proper
73 > checks, it should be possible to use a system for ebuilds only that
74 > can handle revision-bump requests, new ebuild submissions, and
75 > possibly more, without overloading bugzilla OR the Gentoo-devs.
80 The idea is sorta-good, I'm not too sure it will be feasible in a larger
81 scale, but one could hope it is. And definitely, it'd be a good idea to
82 separate this from bugzilla.
83
84 However, this procedure still means that a developer -HAS- to take
85 responsibility for a package before it goes into the tree, Which is
86 something a lot of people whine at just now , becuase their favourite
87 javawrapper for a string() class didn't go into the tree when everyone
88 should use it, or because noone (almost) have a ps2 devkit to try
89 foo-app.... (Examples , dont take it too badly)
90
91 The policy is, all packages in the tree -needs- a developer contact, if
92 that person is a relay to somone else, or deals with it himself isn't
93 much of an issue, but if he's a relay to somone who isn't there (oh, got
94 bored and went to hack on lfs instead) he still has to deal with it.
95 Wether dealing in this case means removing the package and deprecating
96 it, or actively taking over the upstream abandoned source in a futile
97 attempt to make it build against the new gcc+glibc combo of the week, is
98 another issue.
101 Conclusion : please, write a GLEP. i want to see this discussed more,
102 but in a whole new thread.
106 //Spider
111 begin .signature
112 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
114 end