From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:48:54
1 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 03:25:28PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I have this bug against openrc:
5 >
6 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/599468
7 >
8 > The reason for the hard dependency on sysvinit in OpenRC no longer
9 > exists since we now have a replacement for killall5, and some people
10 > want to use openrc and remove sysvinit from their systems.
11 >
12 > Before I drop the dependency on sysvinit from OpenRC, we need a way to
13 > install both but not force sysvinit to be installed if someone removes
14 > it later.
15 >
16 > Does anyone have any ideas wrt how to do this?
17
18 Someone suggested that we need virtual/init, so I will take a look at
19 that possibility.
20
21 William