From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 23:16:23
1 On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 04:48:46PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 03:25:28PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > All,
4 > >
5 > > I have this bug against openrc:
6 > >
7 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/599468
8 > >
9 > > The reason for the hard dependency on sysvinit in OpenRC no longer
10 > > exists since we now have a replacement for killall5, and some people
11 > > want to use openrc and remove sysvinit from their systems.
12 > >
13 > > Before I drop the dependency on sysvinit from OpenRC, we need a way to
14 > > install both but not force sysvinit to be installed if someone removes
15 > > it later.
16 > >
17 > > Does anyone have any ideas wrt how to do this?
18 >
19 > Someone suggested that we need virtual/init, so I will take a look at
20 > that possibility.
21
22 I am attaching my first crack at virtual/init.
23 This is a virtual for packages which provide some kind of init process.
24
25 If no one has responded in 48-72 hours, I will do the following:
26
27 1. add this to the tree
28 2. add it to profiles/base/packages.
29 3. add a sysvinit use flag to openrc, which will be off by default. When
30 it is on, openrc will block sysvinit since it will provide /sbin/init
31 and /sbin/shutdown.
32
33 Thoughts?
34