From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:20:05
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:57:07 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > | > Sounds like a perfect way to break lots and lots of systems. Those
4 > | > policies are mostly there for good reason.
5 > |
6 > | You want to apply policies on overlays? Well no - sorry, overlays are
7 > | none of QA's or any other policy business. They are overlays, not
8 > | official tree. If user installs ebuilds from overlay and breaks his
9 > | system, then well - not a Gentoo problem. Why should any policies
10 > | apply?
11 >
12 > It is a Gentoo problem, because Gentoo gets innundated with bogus bug
13 > reports when users screw up their systems in weird ways and don't
14 > realise the cause.
15
16 We get innundated with tons of bogus bug reports every day, overlays or
17 not - see the number of invalid/duplicate bugs flowing every days. We
18 got a couple of bugs in last two a three days basically stating "ZOMG,
19 glibc downgrade broke my system, t3h Gentoo bug!!11!!" - so what? They
20 get marked as invalid, live goes on. This argument really doesn't stand.
23 As this should be a separate thread, just one reason or example - I'm
24 really uncomfortable e.g. w/ QA intervening in overlays stuff,
25 considering the current way QA is being done in Gentoo... Current
26 non-interactivity policy has clearly influenced multiple ebuilds in
27 portage to the extent that forced me to read the ebuilds very carefully
28 multiple times to be sure what the outcome will be with my particular
29 USE flags. This is a bad thing (TM) for me and I clearly oppose to
30 having such stuff forced in overlays. I could see a place for QA
31 volunteers in this overlay stuff, but that would require a fundamentally
32 different approach from what QA takes now. (If you wish to discuss this
33 further, move it to a separate thread, please).
34
35 Common sense always applies, but generally - overlays are not a place
36 for bureaucracy...
39 Best regards,
40
41 Jakub Moc
42 mailto:jakub@g.o
43 GPG signature:
44 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
45 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
46
47 ... still no signature ;)