From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:56:12
1 On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 10:16 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > As this should be a separate thread, just one reason or example - I'm
3 > really uncomfortable e.g. w/ QA intervening in overlays stuff,
4 > considering the current way QA is being done in Gentoo... Current
5 > non-interactivity policy has clearly influenced multiple ebuilds in
6 > portage to the extent that forced me to read the ebuilds very carefully
7 > multiple times to be sure what the outcome will be with my particular
8 > USE flags. This is a bad thing (TM) for me and I clearly oppose to
9 > having such stuff forced in overlays. I could see a place for QA
10 > volunteers in this overlay stuff, but that would require a fundamentally
11 > different approach from what QA takes now. (If you wish to discuss this
12 > further, move it to a separate thread, please).
13
14 Except nobody says that QA needs to intervene in an overlay.
15
16 My request is *simple*.
17
18 If the overlay is accessible to the general public, then it *cannot*
19 break other packages in the tree via its use. If the overlay is
20 "private" (meaning it has a restricted access list, developers and users
21 are both welcome) then it can break whatever policy that it wants.
22
23 > Common sense always applies, but generally - overlays are not a place
24 > for bureaucracy...
25
26 Nor are they a place to allow a free-for-all where people can commit
27 anything that can cause any amount of damage to the tree, while still
28 being "official" and hosted on Gentoo infrastructure.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
33 x86 Architecture Team
34 Games - Developer