From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] meaning of sqlite/sqlite3 use flag
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:36:10
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 14 September 2007, Hanno Böck wrote:
3 >
4 >> I noticed that the sqlite/sqlite3-useflags have no consistent meaning in
5 >> the tree.
6 >>
7 >> E.g.
8 >> - apr-util uses sqlite for sqlite-2.x support and sqlite3 for sqlite-3.x
9 >> support
10 >> - eix uses sqlite for sqlite-3.x support
11 >> Just the first examples I found, you can find countless for both of them in
12 >> the tree.
13 >>
14 >> We should imho decide if
15 >> a) sqlite means sqlite-2.x and sqlite3 means sqlite-3.x.
16 >> b) sqlite means enable sqlite-support always and sqlite+sqlite3 means if
17 >> both are available use sqlite-3.x instead of 2.x.
18 >>
19 >> I don't care which one (or a completely different one), but I think it
20 >> should be made clear. At least I think the current behaviour in the tree
21 >> doesn't really make sense.
24 > how about 'sqlite' means you want sqlite irregardless of version ... then
25 > sqlite-2 either gets punted from apr-util or it gets a local USE
26 > flag 'sqlite-old' for older cruft
27 > -mike
28 >
29 I agree with this. I'd take this a step further, using old cruft isn't a
30 choice anymore. If an app supports sqlite2 and sqlite3, we'll have a
31 USE=sqlite that'll enable sqlite3... sqlite2 just isn't an option
32 anymore. The conversion process is very simple...
33
34 Step 1) mv mydatabase.db mydatabase.db-old
35 Step 2) sqlite mydatabase.db-old .dump | sqlite3 mydatabase.db
36 Step 3) Profit!
37
38 I'm willing to start making this change asap in the tree. Since sqlite2
39 and sqlite3 are SLOTED, people won't lose their sqlite2 binary and will
40 be able to make the conversion. I'll even add an ewarn for people to
41 make sure to update their databases to sqlite3.
42
43 Also, qt already uses it's own internal sqlite2 library and doesn't use
44 the system library so that won't be a problem.
45 --
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list