From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] man pages - converted to DocBook/HTML
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 20:44:13
1 Vapier wrote: [Mon Nov 29 2004, 09:17:20AM CST]
2 > On Monday 29 November 2004 02:36 am, Mark Miller wrote:
3 > > I was wondering if the Gentoo Development team would be interested in
4 > > a Python script that would automatically convert all the troff and all
5 > > the other formats of man pages into a DocBook format, which HTML can
6 > > easily be generated out of, and incorporate this into the Gentoo
7 > > system.
8 >
9 > for what purpose ? to have HTML versions of all manpages that exist ?
10 > -mike
11
12 I've always been really impressed with the *BSDs online manpage
13 databases, but those databases make more sense for the monolithic *BSDs
14 than they do for the quite heterogeneous Linux distros. That said, I do
15 think that it would be nice if we had the man pages for Gentoo tools
16 available online. I would suggest using man2html instead of a full
17 conversion to docbook, however.
18
19 Let's see, that would mean converting the man pages in portage,
20 certainly, as well as those in gentoolkit and gentoolkit-dev. It looks
21 like baselayout also includes some man pages, and I believe that I
22 included man pages for our mailwrapper package. Are there other
23 Gentoo-specific man pages that we should include? Should we also
24 include the tenshi and keychain man pages since they're predominantly
25 Gentoo projects? Oh, what about the various *-config programs' man
26 pages?
27
28 -g2boojum-
29 --
30 Grant Goodyear
31 Gentoo Developer
32 g2boojum@g.o
33 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
34 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76