From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] power outage
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:35:32
1 On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 05:56:23PM +0100, Philippe Namias wrote:
2
3 > I agree with you the principe of concurrency is good for the market/consummer
4 > so i hope they will be soon other electricity company in France . But what i
5 > don't understand it's why the electricity company didn't ring the bell
6 > sooner. I think that this kind of company are able to predict in a certain
7 > way the volume of electricity needed , so why they don't alert the State Of
8 > California of this. Because now if they are allowed (in Calofornia or any
9 > state close to) to build a power plant it will take years to build. So i
10 > think that your are just at the beginning of the problem?
11
12 Yes, it's probably just the beginning of the problem.
13
14 I don't think there's anything wrong with being pro-environment or wanting a
15 lower energy bill, but if someone believes in it strongly enough, they should
16 change their own lifestyle rather than force others (utilities) to suffer while
17 they watch their big screen TV 8 hours/day and keep their air conditioning on
18 high even when they're away from home. For example, if you support anti-SUV
19 (sport utility vehicle) legislation, I hope that you do *not* own an SUV!
20 It's important to at least *try* to not be a hypocrite.
21
22 For the sake of a cause, people seem very willing to put restrictions on others
23 but not very willing to put restrictions on their own behavior. Apparently, to
24 some people, personal responsibility and accountability is a foreign concept.
27 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
28 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
29 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.