From: "vivo75@×××××.com" <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:37:33
1 Il 04/09/2012 19:15, Zac Medico ha scritto:
2 > On 09/04/2012 04:00 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 05:20:02PM -0700, Brian Harring wrote
4 >>
5 >>> This approach is fine imo, although I'd *potentially* look at adding a
6 >>> magic $PROC_COUNT var that is the # of cpu threads on the system;
7 >>> either that or defaulting jobs to it.
8 >>>
9 >>> I rather dislike requiring users to go jam a 2/4/8 in there when it's
10 >>> easy to compute. That said, it's minor.
11 >>>
12 >>> Either way, yes, I think EJOBS should be in EAPI5.
13 >> One question about the suggested EJOBS variable; will it over-ride
14 >> MAKEOPTS? Every so often on the Gentoo-user list, someone comes along
15 >> with a mysterious build failure. The first suggestion is to reset
16 >> MAKEOPTS to -j1. And on some occasions, that is indeed the solution to
17 >> the mysterious build failure.
18 > That would be due to a missing dependency in the Makefiles, and using
19 > -j1 is just a workaround. The ebuild can be hardcoded to use emake -j1
20 > until the Makefile gets fixed.
21 >
22 >> I set -j1 and leave it that way. Yes, the builds take longer, but the
23 >> resulting binary is just as fast. And the amount of time I "save" will
24 >> be blown away the first time I end up screwing around a couple of hours
25 >> trying to fix a mysterious build failure. That's why I want the user to
26 >> have the option of over-riding EJOBS, should it ever be implemented.
27 > You could use EXTRA_EMAKE for that. You can do per-package settings via
28 > /etc/portage/package.env.
29
30 Dunno where to place this request, but if we go for something like EJOBS
31 could we also make it phase specific?
32 So compile, install and test could have a different number of jobs running.
33 Possibly three different variables that override a predefined EJOBS.
34
35 TIA