From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EJOBS variable for EAPI 5?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 17:16:41
1 On 09/04/2012 04:00 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 05:20:02PM -0700, Brian Harring wrote
3 >
4 >> This approach is fine imo, although I'd *potentially* look at adding a
5 >> magic $PROC_COUNT var that is the # of cpu threads on the system;
6 >> either that or defaulting jobs to it.
7 >>
8 >> I rather dislike requiring users to go jam a 2/4/8 in there when it's
9 >> easy to compute. That said, it's minor.
10 >>
11 >> Either way, yes, I think EJOBS should be in EAPI5.
12 >
13 > One question about the suggested EJOBS variable; will it over-ride
14 > MAKEOPTS? Every so often on the Gentoo-user list, someone comes along
15 > with a mysterious build failure. The first suggestion is to reset
16 > MAKEOPTS to -j1. And on some occasions, that is indeed the solution to
17 > the mysterious build failure.
18
19 That would be due to a missing dependency in the Makefiles, and using
20 -j1 is just a workaround. The ebuild can be hardcoded to use emake -j1
21 until the Makefile gets fixed.
22
23 > I set -j1 and leave it that way. Yes, the builds take longer, but the
24 > resulting binary is just as fast. And the amount of time I "save" will
25 > be blown away the first time I end up screwing around a couple of hours
26 > trying to fix a mysterious build failure. That's why I want the user to
27 > have the option of over-riding EJOBS, should it ever be implemented.
28
29 You could use EXTRA_EMAKE for that. You can do per-package settings via
30 /etc/portage/package.env.
31 --
32 Thanks,
33 Zac