From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 02:37:36
1 To be honest Jason, I think we need to leave it as is. Gentoo is a distro
2 that allows us to get work done and not get into the "if you use non-free
3 software you have betrayed humanity" argument. If we're not careful we will
4 end up the same as Debian. The person raising the question is a zealot who
5 will accept nothing less then all free software and no non-free. That was
6 explained many times and he, like all of us have a choice - use a distro that
7 fits whatever philosophy you have. Gentoo does not have the Debian
8 philosophy so for people who want that they can use Debian or another
9 equivalent. For those of us who just want to do a job and if non-free is the
10 best then we'll use the non-free/commerical stuff and stick with Gentoo.
11
12 Why should all of us who agree with the Gentoo philosopy have to add a bunch
13 of licenses stuff to make.conf or wherever just to satisfy people who would
14 be happier with Debian type distros anyway. We can get in a situation like
15 those who try to be politically correct - they are constantly modifying their
16 school, program, whatever to fit the whims of the latest politically correct
17 mandate. Gentoo's social contract is available to read - if we feel so
18 strongly that we can't agree to then we can go to another distro.
19
20 The id licensing is, to me, an odd case. That's the only package it's been
21 an issue. VMware and the others seem happy to let us have it in portage -
22 probably because they are time limited demos.
23
24 Don't mess with a good setup - it isn't broken so don't fix it <G>.