From: Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:51:08
1 Hello all,
2
3 This question was posted to -user as well and has turned into a huge
4 discussion. It seems that the key concern of the original poster is the free
5 vs non-free bit.
6
7 Several weeks (months?) ago there was a discussion of licenses with regard to
8 id's software. In that, I suggested that a user need to accept all licenses
9 before being able to install software. That was disregarded due to the fact
10 that there are 100s (297) licenses in portage.
11
12 However, users being forced to accept a license was implemented for the
13 specific case of id's software. I again propose that this be made the default
14 for all ebuilds (through portage rather than each ebuild). To counter the
15 massive amount of licenses, I suggest having reasonable defaults for
16 ACCEPT_LICENSES is make.defaults.
17
18 The reason for this is that the free vs non-free questioning comes up on -user
19 every month or two. Each time, the answer is invariably "you wont find what
20 you're looking for here". I would prefer to be able to say, "sure, Gentoo can
21 do that". And it seems if the above were implemented it would be as easy as
22 ACCEPT_LICENSES="-* GPL-1 GPL-2 LGPL-2 LGPL-2.1". (I'm not so familiar with
23 which licenses but I'm sure someone that cares would be).
24
25 As a added benefit, using something similar to the above would ensure that a
26 stage3 tarball would never be 'polluted'. I'm sure there would be other
27 benefits, too.
28
29 Regards,
30 Jason