From: Matthew Kennedy <mkennedy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:20:33
1 Jason Stubbs <jasonbstubbs@×××××××××××.com> writes:
2
3 [...]
4
5 > massive amount of licenses, I suggest having reasonable defaults for
6 > ACCEPT_LICENSES is make.defaults.
7 >
8 > The reason for this is that the free vs non-free questioning comes up on -user
9 > every month or two. Each time, the answer is invariably "you wont find what
10 > you're looking for here". I would prefer to be able to say, "sure, Gentoo can
11 > do that". And it seems if the above were implemented it would be as easy as
12 > ACCEPT_LICENSES="-* GPL-1 GPL-2 LGPL-2 LGPL-2.1". (I'm not so familiar with
13 > which licenses but I'm sure someone that cares would be).
14 >
15 > As a added benefit, using something similar to the above would ensure that a
16 > stage3 tarball would never be 'polluted'. I'm sure there would be other
17 > benefits, too.
18
19 [...]
20
21 Personally, I am only interested in supporting and using free
22 software, so...
23
24 The best solution is just to remove support for anything non-free in
25 portage and to also remove any non-free software from our mirrors.
26 Let some other external project step up to the plate and provide a
27 non-free overlay if they wish. This would put us in a position to be
28 the only GNU/Linux distribution out there which is truly Free
29 according to GNU standards (AFAIK). Wouldn't that be a great selling
30 point?
31
32 Failing that, your idea is a good one, and definitely worth
33 implementing.
34
35 I would like to spend some time to get that feature added to portage
36 (as a patch, since I'm not a portage developer). I think it will
37 require others to sort through the large list of licenses in
38 /usr/portage/licenses and decide what can be considered Free Software.
39
40 Matt
43 Matthew Kennedy
44 Gentoo Linux Developer