From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] July Council Meeting: Requested Agenda Item
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:13:41
1 On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:56:48 +0200 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > I also believe that when posting an article or interview, a copy
4 | > should be sent to the relevant people to ensure that they are ok
5 | > with what is being posted (my dev of the week interview, for
6 | > example, was rather screwed up and misrepresentative).
7 | My fault.
8
9 Good start. Now, are you going to post corrections?
10
11 | > When someone contacts GWN to have
12 | > something corrected, it would be appreciated were the GWN staff to
13 | > at least deign to acknowledge receipt, even if for some reason they
14 | > choose not to honour the corrections or post a retraction (although
15 | > refusing to publish corrections is extremely insulting to those
16 | > wronged).
17 | The reason for that is that the GWN is mostly sent out by mail. This
18 | makes corrections a bit more difficult, but I think having a sane
19 | policy for that would be helpful.
20
21 Publish a 'corrections' section in the next edition?
22
23 | > Having read through the archives, I notice that there was once a
24 | > time when the GWN was a great publication, and I would like to
25 | > think that it could become great yet again; in its current state,
26 | > though, it is doing more harm than good.
27 |
28 | Agreed.
29
30 Given that it is doing more harm than good, should it be discontinued
31 until a solution is found?
32
33 | > Another complaint is that the GWN rejects any writing style which
34 | > has any degree of character or levity. Any attempt at dececnt
35 | > writing (the kind that would make it into publication in English
36 | > newspapers or magazines, for example), is met with the claim that
37 | > "the GWN is not a humorous publication".
38 |
39 | Blame the flamefests of the past. Whenever attempts were made to give
40 | the GWN more dynamic it was flamed down (because ze german humor is
41 | not funny! Nein! ;-) )
42 | So the consensus was to keep the silly jokes out of the GWN since
43 | always someone misunderstands or complains. I'd like to have it a bit
44 | more open, funny, enjoyable ... but there's only so much I can do.
45
46 Christel did not talk about "silly jokes". She spoke about "decent
47 writing (the kind that would make it into publication in newspapers or
48 magazines, for example)". There's a rather large difference (well, if
49 you assume she means *respectable* newspapers and magazines -- good
50 examples for anyone wanting examples are the Times, the Guardian or the
51 Scotsman). I'd imagine the distinction could be not too obvious for
52 some non-native speakers, but it is a large and very important
53 distinction.
54
55 You don't have to be silly or boring to be considered respectable. Take
56 Jeremy Clarkson, for example. He's frequently rather outrageous, very
57 very funny, prone to using extremely colourful metaphors and writes for
58 the highly respectable Sunday Times, which has such a good reputation
59 not despite having such writers but because of it.
62 Ciaran McCreesh
63 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list