From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolving HAL vs. pciutils/usbutils
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:31:17
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2 > When HAL evaluated the usage of libpci the following issues were
3 > identified:
4 > 1) increased memory usage, to the point that HAL was not usable on the
5 > OLPC project
6
7 I was only ever aware of concerns that memory usage might be high, but
8 wasn't aware it caused specific problems.
9
10 I went through the first 3 pages of google results for
11 "pciutils inurl:hal site:lists.freedesktop.org"
12 "libpci inurl:hal site:lists.freedesktop.org"
13 and didn't see anything. Maybe it was discussed elsewhere.
14
15 Anyway, if this did happen once, it doesn't seem to happen any more, see
16 below.
17
18 > 2) ABI breakage between patch revisions (i.e. x.y.z and x.y.z+1 were
19 > not ABI compatible)
20
21 This doesn't matter when you statically link against the library, as
22 long as the API doesn't change. The API that is used in Mike's patch
23 does not seem to have changed for a long time. (Nevertheless, see my
24 notes under the following item -- this will be solved when the next one
25 is solved.)
26
27 > 3) no shared library
28
29 This is a fair point, but I thought it was never raised as an objection,
30 I didn't think it was actually a blocker for acceptance. Especially
31 given that parts of HAL already statically link against libpci.
32
33 I just looked over the threads again and I now see this:
34 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-June/008836.html
35
36 I apologise, I must have missed that before.
37 OK, so having a dynamic libpci is an outstanding requirement for the
38 patch. I will follow up with pciutils upstream about the current state
39 of that.
40
41 > 4) the library calls exit() when it encounters an error in parsing it's
42 > own pci.ids file which would kill the whole app using it.
43 >
44 > There might have been more. I don't remember. Refer to ML discussions
45 > and refer to IRC logs with me.
46
47 I looked over them, I don't see any others.
48
49 > Now Mike (vapier) rectified #4 several pciutils releases ago by
50 > providing a callback function that we could define which would override
51 > the default exit() behavior. I still think it's sub-par to have an
52 > utility library call exit() by default but whatever.
53
54 Yeah.
55
56 > You were told by me and the HAL ML that once #2 and #3 are rectified and
57 > if you could provide some basic memory usage information along with your
58 > patch (i.e. show #1 isn't true anymore) that we would happily accept
59 > your patch.
60
61 > You addressed #1 on the mailing list with a simple statement, which I
62 > will paraphrase. "It doesn't use more memory on my machine". To which
63 > Danny K asked if you could provide some basic data behind that and you
64 > never did.
65
66 I did:
67 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-June/008852.html
68 http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-June/008861.html
71 Anyway, apologies for the oversight on the shared library thing -- it
72 appears it wasn't total silent rejection after all. I'll let you know
73 where that leads.
74
75 Thanks,
76 Daniel