From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolving HAL vs. pciutils/usbutils
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:42:52
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >> Heya,
4 >>
5 >> So now this is not a flamewar.
6 >>
7 >> Jakub was originally going to complain at me for the upstream usbutils
8 >> adding support for gzipped usb.ids files, but a group of us (myself,
9 >> dsd, jakub, leio, steev) had a discussion about it, and came up with a
10 >> solution that both ends the breakage for direct users (HAL and others),
11 >> and provides forward momentum.
12 >>
13 >> So firstly, what's the real problem? The original complaint came up
14 >> because HAL expected the uncompressed file to exist as pci.ids, and
15 >> wasn't ready to look at pci.ids.gz. While this caused breakage, it was
16 >> only a warning sign that there was a deeper problem.
17 >
18 > I don't feel strongly enough to make an objection to your commit, but
19 > I think pciutils is doing the right thing, and despite me and Mike
20 > putting a hours into getting a decent HAL patch together the response
21 > I got was that as upstream they are simply "not interested" (no
22 > technical or logical objections provided), so I don't feel you should
23 > be putting workarounds in pciutils just to make HAL happy.
27 > Daniel
28 Daniel,
29
30 That's a LOAD of garbage and you know it. You're just straight away
31 making up stuff, essentially lying. You know damn well what the reasons
32 were since they were explained to you on numerous occasions.
33
34 When HAL evaluated the usage of libpci the following issues were
35 identified:
36 1) increased memory usage, to the point that HAL was not usable on the
37 OLPC project
38 2) ABI breakage between patch revisions (i.e. x.y.z and x.y.z+1 were
39 not ABI compatible)
40 3) no shared library
41 4) the library calls exit() when it encounters an error in parsing it's
42 own pci.ids file which would kill the whole app using it.
43
44 There might have been more. I don't remember. Refer to ML discussions
45 and refer to IRC logs with me.
46
47 Now Mike (vapier) rectified #4 several pciutils releases ago by
48 providing a callback function that we could define which would override
49 the default exit() behavior. I still think it's sub-par to have an
50 utility library call exit() by default but whatever.
51
52 You were told by me and the HAL ML that once #2 and #3 are rectified and
53 if you could provide some basic memory usage information along with your
54 patch (i.e. show #1 isn't true anymore) that we would happily accept
55 your patch.
56
57 Now #2 and #3 are still not true in the latest release. There is no
58 guarantee by the pciutils maintainers that they will maintain ABI
59 compatibility while keeping the same .so version number. And there is
60 still no shared library built.
61
62 You addressed #1 on the mailing list with a simple statement, which I
63 will paraphrase. "It doesn't use more memory on my machine". To which
64 Danny K asked if you could provide some basic data behind that and you
65 never did.
66
67 As a result, 3 out of 4 concerns with your patch and pciutils were never
68 addressed and the issue was dropped on the HAL ML pending more feedback.
69 --
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list