From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolving HAL vs. pciutils/usbutils
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:50:19
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Heya,
3 >
4 > So now this is not a flamewar.
5 >
6 > Jakub was originally going to complain at me for the upstream usbutils
7 > adding support for gzipped usb.ids files, but a group of us (myself,
8 > dsd, jakub, leio, steev) had a discussion about it, and came up with a
9 > solution that both ends the breakage for direct users (HAL and others),
10 > and provides forward momentum.
11 >
12 > So firstly, what's the real problem? The original complaint came up
13 > because HAL expected the uncompressed file to exist as pci.ids, and
14 > wasn't ready to look at pci.ids.gz. While this caused breakage, it was
15 > only a warning sign that there was a deeper problem.
16
17 I don't feel strongly enough to make an objection to your commit, but I
18 think pciutils is doing the right thing, and despite me and Mike putting
19 a hours into getting a decent HAL patch together the response I got was
20 that as upstream they are simply "not interested" (no technical or
21 logical objections provided), so I don't feel you should be putting
22 workarounds in pciutils just to make HAL happy.
23
24 Especially because HAL really doesn't use pci.ids for anything useful. I
25 am attaching a HAL ebuild patch which is the approach I'm in favour of
26 and first mentioned several months ago. It does not require any HAL
27 patches or pciutils modifications. It stems from the fact that really
28 HAL doesn't really do anything useful with the ID-to-name mappings
29 provided in pci.ids. It makes "that HAL bug" disappear with the click of
30 the fingers. I didn't really get any proper answer why our HAL
31 maintainers weren't keen on this when I first mentioned it.
32
33 Daniel

hal-ebuild.patch text/plain