From: "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolving HAL vs. pciutils/usbutils
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 14:06:50
1 Hello Daniel!
2
3 > I don't feel strongly enough to make an objection to your commit,
4 > but I think pciutils is doing the right thing,
5
6 The question is not if some software is doing the right thing or not
7 but if our packages behave like they should for our users.
8
9 > and despite me and Mike putting a hours into getting a decent HAL
10 > patch together the response I got was that as upstream they are
11 > simply "not interested" (no technical or logical objections
12 > provided), so I don't feel you should be putting workarounds in
13 > pciutils just to make HAL happy.
14
15 Neither is the question if any of us are happy but if our *users* are
16 happy when their installation process breaks because of "that HAL
17 bug". We don't make HAL, its upstream or anyone but our users happy.
18 Our obligation is primarily to them.
19
20 > I am attaching a HAL ebuild patch which is the approach
21
22 ... that still potentially allows things to break because of
23 animosities among ourselves.
24
25 We have a good solution, namely robbat2's, which will make sure things
26 don't break for our users. IMO, that's the way to go because the other
27 approaches make us look bad and are unworthy of a distribution that
28 wants to be taken seriously.
31 Best regards, Wulf