From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolving HAL vs. pciutils/usbutils
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 15:00:01
1 Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
2 > The question is not if some software is doing the right thing or not but
3 > if our packages behave like they should for our users.
4
5 There is also value in satisfying and not deviating away from upstream,
6 as well as respecting values of upstream decisions (such as offering
7 compressed IDs to save bandwidth and disk space). But yes, the correct
8 software behaviour is useful too, and I wouldn't be pushing a solution
9 that caused a degradation in user experience.
10
11 > Neither is the question if any of us are happy but if our *users* are
12 > happy when their installation process breaks because of "that HAL bug".
13 > We don't make HAL, its upstream or anyone but our users happy. Our
14 > obligation is primarily to them.
15
16 pciutils has an upstream too.
17
18 >> I am attaching a HAL ebuild patch which is the approach
19 >
20 > ... that still potentially allows things to break because of animosities
21 > among ourselves.
22
23 HAL handles the missing file condition at runtime if it was compiled
24 with support for it. So, there will be no breakage under circumstances
25 where the package was built for a different box. No issue here.
26
27 > We have a good solution, namely robbat2's, which will make sure things
28 > don't break for our users. IMO, that's the way to go because the other
29 > approaches make us look bad and are unworthy of a distribution that
30 > wants to be taken seriously.
31
32 Things already work for the users with the hal useflag for pciutils, and
33 things will also work with my patch in a slightly nicer/more robust way,
34 without having to extend the HAL issue to the pciutils package.
35
36 I'm going to drop out of this discussion here, just wanted to point out
37 that there is both technical reasoning behind my suggestion, no
38 technical flaws that I know of, and no degradation in user experience.
39 Only in distant corner cases would someone notice a difference, and the
40 "fix" is easy and documented by the ebuild messages.
41
42 Daniel
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list