From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla isn't just for bugs [reminder]
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:55:46
1 Michael Cummings posted <20050720075942.6b6241a0@×××××××××××.mil>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:59:42 -0400:
3
4 > I can't speak for other developers or herd maintainers, but if you have
5 > been using a perl package that is ~arch masked and think its as good as it
6 > gets, please file a 'bug' on bugzilla saying so. I've seen folks lately
7 > doing it for amd64 keywording - yay! But we also need that kind of
8 > feedback for mainstream keywording. Otherwise we get into the situation
9 > that any dev has faced - you have a package ~arched, you use it for a
10 > month or three, no problems, but then it languishes in ~arch land because
11 > you don't have the gentle reminder that others think its ready for prime
12 > time too.
13 >
14 > I guess the drift I'm trying to making (and why I separated this out from
15 > that longer thread) is to encourage the folks on this list, being a
16 > development list and all, to please post on bugzilla for both the good and
17 > the bad of any ~arch package your using - any feedback helps us churn out
18 > a newer Gentoo for you faster ;)
19
20 Since it seems this request is gaining traction, I'd suggest the format
21 for such bugs be standardized, particularly summary line, so as to prevent
22 duplication as much as possible, while allowing "works here also" and
23 "does NOT work here because of bug #xxxxxx" on the same bug. From our
24 experience with amd64 multilib-strict bugs, standardizing the name can be
25 /very/ helpful.
26
27 Perhaps a summary line format something like:
28
29 [keyword stable] package-x.y.z
30
31 Note that bugzilla has the TESTED and STABLE keywords, but they are
32 reserved for use by ATs (and presumably devs). The AT guidelines
33 (available for amd64 ATs here:
34 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/tests/index.xml ) specifically
35 mention testing "every conceivable permutation", and because not just
36 anyone becomes an AT (the ebuild quiz must be passed, among other things),
37 reserving special keywords for ATs makes sense since they /should/ be
38 fairly reliable. Ordinary user testing might not be quite so reliable
39 (tho one should expect most but not all here are devs, and theirs would
40 be), and keywords aren't quite so obvious to users, so the distinction
41 should be useful. Additionally, will these keywords show up on the
42 initial pre-filing searches?
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
48 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list