From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 15:27:32
1 On nie, 2017-07-23 at 17:46 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:00:16 +0100 Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:27:39 -0400
4 > > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
7 > > > inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax" USE
8 > > > flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
9 > > >
10 > > > Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
11 > > > unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
12 > > > vim-syntax USE flag.
13 > >
14 > > I'd say use flag is not needed as long as it does not slow vim startup
15 > > down by much and does not change editor behaviour for every single
16 > > edited file type.
17 >
18 > The problem here is more complicated. What about 100 plugins from
19 > different packages which of them is fast enough, but together they
20 > are slowing vim down to unacceptable level? Such case is
21 > especially sensitive on slow hardware.
22 >
23 > That's why fine control over vim files is mandatory. Yes, it
24 > requires to rebuild packages, but with ccache/distcc available this
25 > is not a huge issue. And if someone really want to avoid such
26 > rebuilds, vim files can always be put to a separated package;
27 > though I see no real reason to do this.
28 >
29 > Using INSTALL_MASK here is not an option, because toggling of
30 > individual vim files using it will be a nightmare.
33 The tool you're looking for is called eselect.
36 Best regards,
37 Michał Górny