From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] vim-syntax USE flag
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 14:46:26
1 On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:00:16 +0100 Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
2 > On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 16:27:39 -0400
3 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Packages currently handle installation of vim syntax support files
6 > > inconsistently. Some builds install the files if the "vim-syntax" USE
7 > > flag is enabled, while others install them unconditionally.
8 > >
9 > > Do these files fall into the "small text files" category for
10 > > unconditional installation? If so, we should probably phase out the
11 > > vim-syntax USE flag.
12 >
13 > I'd say use flag is not needed as long as it does not slow vim startup
14 > down by much and does not change editor behaviour for every single
15 > edited file type.
16
17 The problem here is more complicated. What about 100 plugins from
18 different packages which of them is fast enough, but together they
19 are slowing vim down to unacceptable level? Such case is
20 especially sensitive on slow hardware.
21
22 That's why fine control over vim files is mandatory. Yes, it
23 requires to rebuild packages, but with ccache/distcc available this
24 is not a huge issue. And if someone really want to avoid such
25 rebuilds, vim files can always be put to a separated package;
26 though I see no real reason to do this.
27
28 Using INSTALL_MASK here is not an option, because toggling of
29 individual vim files using it will be a nightmare.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko