From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, chutzpah@g.o, council@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AUTHORS file for portage repository
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 17:02:15
1 >>>>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018, Andrey Utkin wrote:
2
3 > It seems to me this will grow huge, and be the source of annoyance for
4 > users.
5
6 IIUC the file has a specific purpose, namely to solve the copyright
7 attribution problem. So only those entities who would otherwise add
8 themselves to ebuild headers must be listed there.
9
10 > There's a plausible opinion that today's Unixes will stay around
11 > forever:
12 > https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/unix/DurableCurrentUnixes
13
14 > And obviously Gentoo is the best flavour of them, so...
15
16 > Are there any long-lived community FOSS projects maintaining such
17 > file?
18
19 GNU Emacs:
20 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/AUTHORS
21 They add everyone who has contributed, and after 33 years the file
22 has grown to 170 kB, which I think is still acceptable. We have some
23 Manifest files that are much larger.
24
25 So I don't think we would run into problems anytime soon, even if we
26 added everybody (which we shouldn't, IMHO).
27
28 Ulrich