From: Jonas Stein <jstein@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AUTHORS file for portage repository
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 23:26:00
1 >> Are there any long-lived community FOSS projects maintaining such
2 >> file?
3 >
4 > GNU Emacs:
5 > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/etc/AUTHORS
6 > They add everyone who has contributed, and after 33 years the file
7 > has grown to 170 kB, which I think is still acceptable. We have some
8 > Manifest files that are much larger.
9 >
10 > So I don't think we would run into problems anytime soon, even if we
11 > added everybody (which we shouldn't, IMHO).
12
13 Ulrich is right. All authors with name and mail of the whole git tree
14 sum up to something in the order of 30 kB.
15
16 git log | grep "Author: "| sort | uniq | sed "s/Author: //g" | wc -c
17
18 Worst case estimation:
19 30 kB are 600 different contributors.
20
21 These contributors will change their mail address 5 times during their
22 active time. (Proxied maintainer, developer, 3 company mails)
23
24 Say the number of authors doubles within the next 10 years
25 then we will still have an authors.txt in the order of
26 300 kB in the year 2029.
29 Best,
30 Jonas