From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:27:24
1 On Wed, 2004-02-04 at 11:53, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > The Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) 2.3, released 29th Jan 2004,
3 > So, what do you think?
4
5 I'm with avenj on this one.
6
7 An attempt to standardize what various Unix and Linux distributions do
8 does not extend to a remit to magically create new places to stuff
9 things, and then having people say "but it's the standard, so we have to
10 do it too"
11
12 /var and /opt already contain more than enough scope to store things
13 like this.
14
15 It's almost as bad as Dan Bernstein saying "I think that everything
16 should be in /command, so you should just change everything to match
17 that too".
18
19 That said, all the above comments are aesthetic ones. I don't really
20 care where the default location for something is, because if it doesn't
21 match the de-facto standards already in place across numerous machines
22 and numerous distributions (which this doesn't), we'll just ignore it.
23
24 AfC
25 Sydney
28 Andrew Frederick Cowie
29 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
30
31 Australia: +61 2 9977 6866 North America: +1 646 472 5054
32
33 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list