From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing /srv into Gentoo Linux
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:58:52
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 The Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) 2.3, released 29th Jan 2004,
4 introduced a new top-level directory, /srv. It's basically a hierarchy for
5 storing file trees for services.
6
7 You can read more about this here:
8 http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#SRVDATAFORSERVICESPROVIDEDBYSYSTEM
9
10 As part of the work on GLEP #11, I'm proposing that the default location (yes,
11 it *will* be configurable for people with existing installations) for
12 websites becomes /srv/www instead of /var/www. So, for a non-vhost system,
13 the local website would be installed into /srv/www/localhost/htdocs/.
14
15 We also need somewhere for backup tools to default to for writing backups.
16 I'm working on an ebuild for backuppc, and I propose that this, by default,
17 uses /srv/backups/<$PN>/ as the place to write backup files.
18
19 Longer term, I'm sure there are other trees that could find a natural home
20 under /srv. The various SCM tools could be pointed here, for example.
21 Portage itself is one strong candidate. Having portage in /usr does make it
22 difficult to run a system with /usr mounted readonly most of the time.
23
24 I don't want to just dive in and commit ebuilds that use these new locations
25 without some discussion first ;-) The move to /var/www was forced on us (and
26 on Gentoo users) because we needed to get a security fix out for Apache at
27 the time. If we do this - and I think we should - I'm keen that we're able
28 to do this with a lot of support.
29
30 So, what do you think?
31 Stu
32 --
33 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
34 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
35 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
36 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
37
38 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
39 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C