From: "Manuel Rüger" <mrueg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 17:36:30
1 On 20.09.2015 18:57, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 09/20/2015 06:47 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
3 >> On 20.09.2015 16:26, hasufell wrote:
4 >>> On 09/20/2015 03:27 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
5 >>>> Please stop introducing further tree-wide changes regarding libressl.
6 >>>
7 >>> That's not possible, because in order to introduce the USE flag, we have
8 >>> to break the dep-graph on ~arch temporarily (for 'libressl' USE flag
9 >>> only ofc), because of circular deps.
10 >>>
11 >>> I am working on restoring it now. This does not affect stable branch at
12 >>> all and no one who is not using 'libressl' USE flag (which is
13 >>> practically impossible currently).
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Yet the way you execute your plan now violates several devmanual
17 >> policies. Is there any reason for that rush?
20 > Any reason to bother me? There have been several threads about libressl
21 > and the overlay has been up for more than one year I think. If you have
22 > a suggestions, say it.
23 >
24 There has been an ongoing discussion after you announced your plan.
25 Instead of getting your suggestion actually reviewed and probably
26 improve your plan on a further iteration, you're creating accomplished
27 facts.
28
29 >>> If you have useful comments regarding the transition, please speak up.
30 >>>
31 >>
32 >> I remember you being one of the devs who considered code reviewing as a
33 >> useful tool.
34 >> Why don't you add a pull request to Gentoo's github mirror and let other
35 >> devs review and ack it there?
38 > Because then I could simply give up with ~550 packages, where for most
39 > of them the change is a two-liner in RDEPEND. It is common in gentoo to
40 > not ask every single maintainer for tree-wide changes. The python herd
41 > does that too.
44 What about the packages that are not part of "most"? Some include
45 patches, that haven't seen any testing by their downstream maintainers.
46 See 1fbc7d68335e35af898606f1dfdaedf9bf6bea14 or
47 9c9eff93fe71c5b446df8367d69c407d62811b05.
50 > If I don't know how to do something or if the changes are non-trivial,
51 > then I will definitely open a bug/PR.
52 >
53 > Again: this all happens in unstable arch and practically effects no one,
54 > because people cannot effectively enable the USE flag yet.
57 And after you're done, people will argument: "Should we really change
58 500 packages again?"
59 This renders any further discussion redundant and is not how an open
60 development process should look like.
61
62 - Manuel