From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 16:57:53
1 On 09/20/2015 06:47 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
2 > On 20.09.2015 16:26, hasufell wrote:
3 >> On 09/20/2015 03:27 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
4 >>> Please stop introducing further tree-wide changes regarding libressl.
5 >>
6 >> That's not possible, because in order to introduce the USE flag, we have
7 >> to break the dep-graph on ~arch temporarily (for 'libressl' USE flag
8 >> only ofc), because of circular deps.
9 >>
10 >> I am working on restoring it now. This does not affect stable branch at
11 >> all and no one who is not using 'libressl' USE flag (which is
12 >> practically impossible currently).
15 > Yet the way you execute your plan now violates several devmanual
16 > policies. Is there any reason for that rush?
19 Any reason to bother me? There have been several threads about libressl
20 and the overlay has been up for more than one year I think. If you have
21 a suggestions, say it.
22
23 >> If you have useful comments regarding the transition, please speak up.
26 > I remember you being one of the devs who considered code reviewing as a
27 > useful tool.
28 > Why don't you add a pull request to Gentoo's github mirror and let other
29 > devs review and ack it there?
32 Because then I could simply give up with ~550 packages, where for most
33 of them the change is a two-liner in RDEPEND. It is common in gentoo to
34 not ask every single maintainer for tree-wide changes. The python herd
35 does that too.
36
37 If I don't know how to do something or if the changes are non-trivial,
38 then I will definitely open a bug/PR.
39
40 Again: this all happens in unstable arch and practically effects no one,
41 because people cannot effectively enable the USE flag yet.
42
43 Do you want to help or not?