From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XOrg/Gnome problems with Xkb Options (was gdm-2.6.0.3, XOrg/Gnome...)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:03:03
1 On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 12:29, Kevin wrote:
2 > Good idea. I should've done that before writing here I guess. Sorry.
3 > From Bug 46794, it looks like someone already brought this up in April,
4 > so I'll drop it. Anyway, I already have the functionality that I want,
5 > so it's moot for me now.
6
7 At least somebody reported it.
8
9 > Actually, I'm pretty sure the fglrx driver does not support that
10 > card/chip. This is based on what I see when I try using it in addition
11 > to a vague memory of having read that somewhere---maybe on forums. But
12 > I'll look into it further and post a bug if the driver advertises
13 > support for that card/chip.
14
15 It probably does not support the chip yet. I tend to think that it
16 doesn't support it.
17
18 > Well, I thought that maybe the pc105 option would be important since
19 > it's a laptop---does XOrg autoprobe for stuff like that? I wasn't sure
20 > if the others were defaults or not.
21 >
22 > I did try your suggestion, though, and oddly enough, Gnome still pops up
23 > the same dialog when I log in as root. When I run the two commands
24 > (xprop and gconftool-2), they show the same information as before. Is
25 > this info cached by gnome or something? I would think that gnome would
26 > get the info from the X server which I must assume is getting it from
27 > xorg.conf. I restarted the machine to make sure that some stale cache
28 > info wasn't lying around in some temp file or something, but it's still
29 > there.
30 >
31 > Any thoughts on why this is happening and how to stop it? It seems like
32 > gnome got its info from X once, stored it somewhere, and now is keeping
33 > it---in spite of the change to xorg.conf. Is that what's happening?
34 > Seems like a bad idea, but maybe I'm missing something.
35
36 Delete all of the .g* folders in /root, like .gconf, .gnome* and it will
37 reset everything to defaults next time you log into gnome.
40 Chris Gianelloni
41 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
42 Gentoo Linux
43
44 Is your power animal a penguin?